* Iran hates ISIS and Iraq and Syrian rebels
* The UK does not like Iran and Iran isn't too keen on the UK. But they hate the US
* Saudi Arabia hates Yemen and Iran.
* Egypt is a mess internally and hates Israel
* Israel just wants to be left alone
* Sunni Muslims hate Shia Muslims and Shia Muslims hate Sunni Muslims
* Afghanistan is fighting ISIS and the Taliban and Al Qaida
* Israel likes the US but everyone else hates the US
* Everyone hates Israel except the US, and sometimes the US wobbles on this a bit
* Turkey hates the Kurds and ISIS
* The Kurds hate ISIS and some of Turkey
* The West likes Turkey, but Turkey doesn’t always like the West and the West likes the Kurds but won’t help them because we don’t want to antagonise Turkey.
* Jordan hates ISIS and we like Jordan. They were British once (as were most of the territories under question, come to think of it. Help! It's all our fault)
* There are a bunch of other little countries that have oil and are nice to the West so we help them keep their oil from bigger countries.
* Then some of the countries have tribes that seem to act separately from their country and lots of these tribes don’t like each other.
So extreme measures are called for. My position (slightly tongue-in-cheek) would be to put whatever it takes into making us so energy independent that we don’t need to give a toss about what happens in the Middle East. Then we should just step back and do nothing. Let everyone sort it out on their own. It might take a few centuries, but let's just butt out. Has anyone got a better idea? Pretty please.