Wednesday 30 July 2014

What's in a label?

Yes, I do need to get out more and, yes, I do need to get a life but.....is it just me, or has anyone else noticed that the labels on clothing seem to be getting more and more voluminous? At one time, labelling was confined to such essentials as size and manufacturer; how many years did 'St Michael, size 12' convey all the information I needed to know about what I was buying? However, if the labels I have just cut off a jumper and scanned (sad, isn't it?) are anything to go by, those days are long gone. How did we find ourselves in this sorry state of affairs? No doubt someone has done a detailed analysis of the trend. And no doubt it is printed inside a pair of underpants somewhere.

And talking of underpants, the day can't be far off when they have to display a 'may contain nuts' label. And I hope I'm not around when my jumpers come with a fat content warning. 

Incidentally, when I sat down to write this post I had intended to say something about the current situation in Gaza. But I could not get beyond an unstructured and vitriolic polemic that threatened to send my keyboard up in flames. A little whimsy for now as a displacement activity restored my equilibrium.

1 comment:

dephil13 said...

Someone I know posted on fB that it was dreadful about Gazza! I thought she was referring to our mentally challenged Geordie footballer .