Friday 28 November 2014

A stitch in time.............

A kind reader asked me why I hadn't been blogging much this week. Well, the reason why not is on the left: I've had some surgery on my right hand. The dressing came off today to reveal the track of 14 stitches, which will be taken out next week.
 
I'd been treated for Dupuytren's Contracture, an inherited condition which causes contraction of a tendon in the palm of the hand, which in turn caused my ring finger to bend inwards. The surgeon corrected this with some judicious prodding around and removal of the affected connective tissue. The less-than-small incision was necessary so that he had plenty of room to avoid severing any nerves.
 
Where did it come from? It runs in the family - my father had it - and shows a higher incidence in people with Northern European antecedents. And that's why the condition is also known as "Viking Disease" or "Celtic Hand".
 
Based on my two criteria of success for this operation (coming around from the anaesthetic and having the same number of fingers I started with), it's all looking good. And get this stylish splint I've got to wear at night for the next couple of months: pretty cool, eh?

2 comments:

rationalist said...

Well, Deri, you are in interesting company. 16th-century slave trader John Hawkins had it, so did Margaret Thatcher and Ronald Reagan. Perhaps you would approve more of cricketers Jonathan Agnew, David Gower; and that great actor Bill Nighy.

DNP said...

I'm happy to share my bed with just two of those named. A motley crew.