Thursday 4 December 2014

Our wonderful NHS

I've had occasion recently to have had some treatment through our wonderful National Health Service. Yes, our wonderful NHS. Not our failing NHS, not our bureaucratic NHS, not our far-too-expensive NHS but our wonderful NHS.

By coincidence a letter dropped through our letter-box a short while ago as part of a new Government initiative to let us know what is happening to the tax we are paying. It informs me of the total direct taxes I paid in 2013-14 and the proportion of my taxes which have gone to various headings. For example, I paid £139 towards reducing the national debt last year and a further £105 (probably enough for a couple of bolts from the back of a tank) towards the defence of the realm. And towards the budget of the National Health Service I contributed £374 from direct taxation. Given that direct tax constitutes about 45% of the total government budget, it is fair to assume that I probably stumped up a further £410 in indirect tax.  So for a few pence over £15 (circa $23) a week I have got access to a service that has treated my fingers, my eyes, given me regular check-ups and continues to provide me with a whole bag of life-saving pills every month.

Even in the context of Black Friday and Cyber Monday - that is some bargain. Wouldn't it be great if those willing to fight to get £50 off a TV would put as much energy into fighting to save our wonderful NHS from the depredations of the Lib-Cons?

No comments: