Wednesday 6 July 2016

50 years later and both still going strong.

A couple of days ago my son and daughter-in-law went to the Eden Project to see Tom Jones in concert. They raved about his performance and thought that his voice was still amazingly strong after all those years of singing. I found it weird that they were enthusing about someone I first saw at least 52 years ago.

Back then (circa 1964), Tom Jones was the lead singer with Tommy Scott and the Senators and they were a regular fixture at the Friday Night Dance at Bedwas Comprehensive School. They were good and Tom was clearly a cut above the normal calibre of singers who usually fronted groups (we had groups not bands) at that time. He could really belt it out and it's good to hear that he's still going strong. If nothing else, we boys from the valleys have longevity. And that's where any similarity between Tom and me ends. I'm not a multi-millionaire, I haven't had Botox, I don't come from Pontypridd and no-one has ever thrown their knickers at me. But that's not unusual (boom, boom!)**.
** For those puzzled by 'boom, boom', I suggest you Google 'Basil Brush'.

No comments: