Tuesday 21 November 2017

Andalucian pot pourri: Part 3:Meandering around Mijas

It's been a couple of months since we were in Andalucia and these are a few photographs I put into a draft post at the time. What happens on an all-too-regular basis is that I go away somewhere, draft a post with good intentions and then, when I get back home, I move onto the next thing and the post gathers dust, until it's so out-of-date that I delete it. Not this one, though, because it brings back memories of warmer climes as Cornwall moves into a damp Winter.
Our visit coincided with the annual Mijas Fair. A week long celebration, in honour of the patron saint of the town, The Virgin of the Rock. Lots of decorations were up and provided an excuse (as if I ever need an excuse!) for mucho snappio (impeccable Spanish, eh?).
Snappio #2
Snappio #3
Snappio #4

A warm evening strolling around the back streets of Mijas. Very pleasant.

What a lovely succulent. How pleased I'd be if I could grow something like this in my greenhouse. Anyone know what it's called?
I wish I could say that I remember what this is, but I can't. I was obviously attracted by the pattern but was it a gate? Window shutters? Lost in the mists of time.
I think the Hibiscus is a great flower to photograph. The green sepals and bracts, showy petals, deep red pistils surrounded by bright yellow stamens make a great study in contrast. You may not enjoy the botany, but I’m sure you’ll agree that nature offers a marvellous spectacle for those who take the time to look - and admire.
A better look at the naughty bits of the flower: pistils (male) and stamens (female).
The small Folk Museum in Mijas is a little gem, giving interesting insights into times BT (Before Tourism). I particularly liked this olive oil delivery bike. Apparently, daily deliveries of small quantities was the norm.
The local market at Fuengirola, possibly the least inspiring we've ever been to anywhere. Lots of tat and very few stalls selling local produce.
The beach at Fuengirola, with lots of people and lots of high rise blocks. Fine for some but not for us. We beat a hasty retreat back to the hills and our own pool...
....where we could swim accompanied by some local wildlife. In the background is a small gecko which seemed to have formed an attachment to an outlet pipe. And in the foreground is a small ant carrying away a much larger one. The physics of this are incredible when the comparative sizes are taken into account.

No comments: